News Headlines Article

Carbon monoxide is killing public housing residents, but HUD doesn’t require detectors
NBC News

KinTerra Johnson and her three young children had to flee their apartment at 3 a.m. on a cold January night, or else risk losing their lives.

Two of their neighbors were already dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. Emergency officials found dangerously high levels of the gas throughout the Allen Benedict Court public housing complex near downtown Columbia, where more than 400 people lived, nearly all African American, including more than 140 children and many elderly residents in frail health.

Johnson’s three children — 8, 5 and 3 years old — saw flashing lights surrounding the building.

Commands